Wednesday, December 7, 2016

One of My Favorite Days of the Year

DECEMBER DAILY - DAY 4

For over a decade I have had the immense pleasure of being part of the Basalone sisters annual Christmas get together/birthday party and have taken pcitures of my dear friend Ann and her sisters' families.

I met Ann at my first job out of college. Looking back I cant believe how crazy and silly we were. It was a young company in growth mode, catering to an industry that was exploding. the sky was the limit and the excitement was everywhere. All of us were young, animated kids in our twenties, working hard and playing hard. Ann and I immediately clicked and became companions on many trade show adventures. She made me laugh so hard and so often and I thought she was awesome.

Eventually we both left the company but we kept in touch the sporadic way you sometimes do. But no matter how much time might pass between our conversations, she brought it all back together. There were ups and downs for sure but seeing Ann was almost medicinal for me. She has the best spirit, is always FUN in an understated, witty way.

About 10 years ago the celebrations started - always the first Sunday in December. And with my trusty camera in hand I participated in the only way I really could, standing by, watching the banter of siblings and enjoying the halo effect of all the love.

This event has become so important to me - its a way for me to give back to a friend that I treasure, a way to be part of a "normal" family tradition, a way to kick off the holiday season. The day always makes me feel so good,. It sounds hokey but it really is what the Christmas season has come to mean to me. Ann and her sisters are great cooks and while there are some standards - quiches, bagels, pineapple/pinenut chicken salad to name a few. there are also some fun surprises - this year it was a lemonade blackberry punch that was a refreshing delight.

The weird thing is that my kids don't come. Its something I do apart from them, for myself. They know how much it means to me. But they don't know the characters,  Ann's sisters and their spouses and kids. people I have formed bonds with, people I have come to care deeply about, people I feel so close to after all these years.

This year was especially meaningful because the oldest girl got engaged at the event. And her fiancee, who I have also taken pictures of over the years, chose the day because he knew I would be there to take pictures. I cant tell you how honored and thrilled I was, how much it meant to me. Truly a privilege that I will always remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment