

DECEMBER DAILY DAY 2
This morning around 6:45 I got the request. Well, not exactly a request. At 6:40 I woke up to the sound of Kathy going down the stairs as she headed off to work. I am always slow to get out of bed so I just reveled under the blankets. And then I heard Phillip's voice informing me that he was putting on his shoes.
The sarcastic witch in me wasn't awake so I didn't respond "and what does that mean to me". Instead I just said "does this mean you want me to drive you to school?" and I received a grunt in response.
He's in 11th grade this year and very often wakes up at ungodly hours to walk to school. I confess I am not always sure what that's all about. He says he wants the time alone on the walk to listen to music and since his sister Julia said she did the same thing, I let it go. But I think the reason may have more to do with the way I react to some of the odder things he does to prepare for school. Whether its bringing the ukele to school or dressing in hot pick socks, shorts and tshirt for breast cancer awareness day, the kid can have interesting ways of expressing himself and gaining attention.
I admit I am not always supportive of these expressions, knowing that while some people will comment favorably, others will not. But these are the choices he makes and he needs to aware that there are always consequences. I don't necessarily say anything about these costumes choices but he is sensitive to my reaction to know how I feel.
Anyway, there aren't many mornings so far this year when he's needed me to drive him to school. But he did today. And it was nice to be needed. Driving him isn't really an inconvenience. It still leaves me time to get ready for work myself and it isn't too early. And it gives us rare "car time" which I have always enjoyed with my kids.
From the early morning drives from Baldwin to Nana Davis's house in East Meadow when Nata, Julia and I would sing along to books on tape (cassette tape that is - I'll Love you Forever was a favorite) to the amazing dynamic that happens just last week when they were all home for Thanksgiving and we took a shopping trip and had the best banter ever, to the amusing car pools to scouts with Phillip and 3 other 16 year old boys, I really cherish the isolating, focusing environment of a car. (Phew - that was sure a run on sentence).
Anyway, today I got to drive him to school. I jumped out of bed in my flannel nightgown and socks and, after greeting the dog and giving the cat some food, went straight out to the car. Not a pretty sight. I gave my wonderfully dependable 2003 Accord a minute or two to warm up and we were on our way. Because I always have a mountain of "stuff" on the passenger seat, Phillip sits in the back. We are usually pretty quiet during the ride. I look at the sky and admire the color or clouds and he gets mentally prepared for the day. Its a quiet time that I share with him and usually pleasant.
Today was a bit chilly (no coat over the PJs) but dry. There were other cars on the road filled with other high school kids and their parents doing the same thing, but no long lines at the stop signs and no build up while dropping the kids off. My favorite thing is being able to say "Have a good day" as he goes off. Not sure he even hears it half the time, but it still feels good to say it.


No comments:
Post a Comment